What is the T Visa?

The T visa provides lawful nonimmigrant status in the United States for victims of human trafficking and their immediate family.

Last updated on May 16th, 2019

The T Visa is a nonimmigrant status available to those who are or were subject to human trafficking. The visa provides lawful nonimmigrant status in the United States for victims and their immediate family.

Human trafficking is typically defined as the illegal movement of individuals and it is usually for the purpose of exploitation in forced labor or commercial sexual enterprises.

T Visa Eligibility

To be eligible for a T Visa, USCIS requires that:

  1. You can prove you’ve been subjected to the criminal enterprise of human trafficking as defined under the U.S. code.
  2. You were trafficked in the U.S., one of its recognized territories, or through an area of entry into the U.S. as a result of human trafficking.
  3. There exists evidence that the absence of a T Visa would result in severe hardship for you.
  4. You are willing and able to aid law enforcement in the investigation of human trafficking.
  5. You otherwise meet the admissibility standards of entry into the U.S.

If you fail to meet any one of these requirements, you are not eligible for a T Visa. However, you may still file for entry by sending Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant, to USCIS.

How to Apply for the T Visa

To apply for a T Visa, USCIS requires you to complete and file Form I-914, Application for T Non-Immigrant Status. This can be done online through the USCIS website.

The U.S. government only issues 5,000 T Visas each year, not including T derivative visas granted to family members you may include in your application.

T Visas are valid for a period of three years, after which, T Visa recipients may apply for permanent residency.

Was this post helpful?
Need an attorney?

Our articles provide general information about all of our practice areas. If you're looking for legal counsel specific to your situation, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Share This