• June 9, 2015

What is the L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa?

Closeup of businessman shaking hands with female candidate at office desk
Have a question about this article?
Talk to attorney:

The L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa allows a U.S. company to transfer an executive or manager of its affiliated foreign office to its office in the U.S. so that he can perform services for that company. The L-1 visa may also be used to allow a foreign executive or manager to come to the U.S. to begin a U.S. affiliated office.

Do I Qualify?

If you would like to transfer to a company that is already established, both you and the U.S. company must qualify. In order to qualify for an L-1 visa, you, the employee, must:

  • Have been employed with the foreign office for one continuous year out of the three past years
  • Plan to enter the U.S. to work on tasks as an executive or manager for his employer

The U.S. company where you plan to transfer to must:

  • Have a qualifying relationship with your employer
  • Currently be, or will be, doing business during the extent of your stay in the U.S.

If you would like to enter the U.S. on a L-1 visa to establish a new company for your employer, you employer must also show that it has secured the premises for its new office and that the new office will need a manager or executive within one year after the application is approved.

The L-1 Visa Application Process

The L-1 visa application is straightforward and can be completed in two steps.

  • Step One: Your U.S. company must file a Form I-129 on your behalf
  • Step Two: Once the I-129 form is approved, you must apply for a L-1 visa with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Once you are approved, you may enter the U.S. for up to 3 years. Your stay may be extended for increments of 2 years until you reach the maximum 7 years

Here's what our clients say

Share This