What is the K-3 Marriage Visa

The K-3 marriage visa allows immigrating spouses of U.S. citizens to enter into the country while awaiting Form I-130 approval.

Last updated on May 16th, 2019

The K-3 marriage visa allows immigrating spouses of United States citizens to enter into the United States while awaiting approval of their Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative.

To be eligible for a K-3 Marriage Visa, you must be married to a U.S. citizen and awaiting approval of your Form I-130.

How Do I Apply for a K-3 Visa?

To apply for a K-3 visa, you must file a Form I-129F application. You will not be able to file this application until you have completed your Form I-130 and have received a confirmation letter (Form I-797) from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Once the USCIS approves your I-129F application, it will then forward it to the National Visa Center (NVC).

If the NVC receives your Form I-129F before it receives your Form I-130, it will forward it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country or nearest to the country where you were legally married.

The U.S. Embassy will require you to undergo a medical examination and an interview to finalize your application.

Once Your K-3 Marriage Visa Application is Approved

If your K-3 application is approved, you may enter the United States immediately. Your K-3 visa is valid for two years, but it will expire automatically in 30 days if USCIS denies your I-130 petition, USCIS denies your Form I-485 petition, or you and your spouse divorce.

While in the United States, you are encouraged to begin your adjustment of status (green card) application even if your Form I-130 has not yet been approved.

You may also file a Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization at the same time you apply for permanent residency if you would like to start working.

K-4 visas are also available for accompanying children.

Was this post helpful?

Need an attorney?

Our articles provide general information about all of our practice areas. If you're looking for legal counsel specific to your situation, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Share This