What is an Engagement Visa?

An “engagement visa,” also called a K-1 Fiancé Visa, is a document which allows U.S. citizens to bring their immigrant fiancés into the country for a wedding.

Last updated on May 21st, 2019

An engagement visa, also known as a K-1 Fiancé Visa, is a visa especially for immigrants who plan to marry in the United States.

If you are newly engaged to a United States citizen, and you want to know if you need a fiancé visa, you should read our article entitled, “Do I Need a Fiancé Visa?

Obtaining a fiancé visa can be a long and complicated process. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office (USCIS) is responsible for handling the fiancé visa application, Form I-129F.  

First, you’ll want to make sure you meet the basic requirements for the K-1 fiance visa.  

Here is an overview of the entire application process.

To make the process a little easier for you and your fiancé, we’ve also put together information about some commonly asked questions that you may want to review.  

Click any one of the questions to find an answer and more information:

Was this post helpful?

Need an attorney?

Our articles provide general information about all of our practice areas. If you're looking for legal counsel specific to your situation, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Share This