Proof of Engagement and Fiancé Visa Applications

When filing for a fiancé visa, you should remember that your primary goal is showing that you have discussed, and invested yourself in, your future marriage.
Call Us: (804) 477-1720Make an Appointment

by | Last updated May 15, 2019 | Published on Jul 30, 2015 | Immigration

To successfully apply for a K-1 Fiancé Visa, you must prove to the United State Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) that you are engaged and plan to marry your U.S. citizen fiancé within 90 days after entering the United States.

The evidence you provide to USCIS is instrumental in determining whether your petition is approved or not.

However, since USCIS does not specify what exactly it wants from you as proof of your engagement, what you send in with your application is up to you.

You should take advantage of this gray area and send many different types of evidence with your fiancé visa application. 

To help you out, we have given you some ideas below. Keep in mind that the goal is to show that you have discussed and invested in your relationship and future marriage.

Should I Provide Proof Of My Engagement Within My Fiancé Visa Application?

Yes. You should include proof of your engagement in several places.

The first place where you will have a chance to convince USCIS of your future union is on Question 34a of Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé. This question basically asks you to describe how you and your fiancé met and ended up engaged.

This is the perfect opportunity to give USCIS all the details on how you and your fiancé met, and how you began to discuss marriage.  

The application doesn’t generally give you enough space to write all of the details–it is very common to include additional information on separate sheets of paper.

Should I Provide Additional Proof Of My Engagement?

Yes. In addition to including proof of your engagement on the actual application, you can also send additional documentation that shows you and your fiancé are engaged and serious about getting hitched. 

Some common documents that fiancé visa applicants often send include communications, photographs, wedding plans, and affidavits from friends.


“Communications” between you and your fiancé are a great way to show that you are engaged and have been discussing your plans to get married. 

Communications can include anything that you and your fiancé use to talk to one another such as letters, emails, phone call logs, instant messages, text messages, you name it.

The good thing about communications is that they usually include time stamps which allows you to show USCIS that you and your fiancé have been communicating back and forth over a long period of time.

Rest assured that you don’t have to send in anything too personal if it makes you uncomfortable. 

It is also possible to send in basic phone records to show that you and your fiancé have kept in touch. 

Some phone records even show how long the phone calls lasted and if you and your spouse spend hours and hours on the phone like courting teenagers, while not required, is still a good sign that you are in a real relationship.


Photographs are a great way to prove your engagement because it shows that you and your fiancé have actually met in person and have spent time together. 

If you have plane tickets that correspond to the time when the pictures were taken, that would be even better. As long as the photos are clear, they serve as good proof of your relationship.

Future Wedding Plans

In addition to showing that you and your fiancé have kept in touch over the years, it would be great if you can show that you two have also finalized some of your wedding plans.

It is quite possible that you haven’t planned your wedding yet.

However, if you are one of the couples that already have some of the preliminary wedding plans already worked out, these plans will serve as good proof of your engagement because it demonstrates that you and your fiancé have already invested money in your upcoming union. 

Some examples of wedding plans include:

  • Wedding Announcements
  • A wedding venue contract
  • A Caterer contract
  • A contract for the wedding cake
  • An Affidavit from the officiant
  • A contract with the florist
  • A contract with the band or DJ
  • A contract with the wedding photographer


If the people around you believe that you are in a relationship, there is a good chance that you really are in a relationship. This is why statements from friends are a good form of proof that you are engaged. 

USCIS accepts these statements, called “affidavits” in legalese, as long as they are signed by the person writing them, and include the person’s contact information in case USCIS has any questions.

I don’t have any of the above documents, what should I do?

If you don’t have any of the documents above, you have your work cut out for you. Even if you’re starting from scratch, it’s likely that you can create many of the evidences already mentioned, such as affidavits and letters from friends.

Also, as we previously stated, there are many forms of evidence that you can include with your fiancé petition. We’ve only listed a few common forms of evidence, but really anything can work as long as it helps prove you are really engaged.

If you have something in mind that we didn’t list above, but that can accurately give USCIS a portrayal of your marriage goals, feel free to include it.

Was this post helpful?

Ben Williams

Ben is a Richmond, Virginia immigration attorney, and a founding partner of Tingen & Williams. Ben leads the firm's immigration practice. Read More.

Hire a lawyer for just $29/month

Related Articles from the Access Knowledge Base

Talk to Us!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Hire a lawyer for just $29/month

Need an attorney?

Even with all this helpful information, sometimes you just need to talk.