P-1 Athletic Visa Processing Times

Processing times vary for immigration applications, but the processing time for athletic-based applications is generally between two weeks and a three or four months.

Last updated on October 3rd, 2017

P-1 Athletic Visa Processing Times

The current processing times for the P-1 Athletic Visa varies based on the United States Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS) service center handling your application.  In this case, there are only two USCIS service centers that process Form I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker.  We have given you the current processing times for the two centers below, as well as a way to expedite your application.

Current Processing Times

There are two USCIS centers that handle Form I-129: the California Service Center and the Vermont Service Center.  Where your Form I-129 is filed depends on the location of your event or competition.  For example, if your athletic event is in Alaska, Nevada, or Ohio, your petition should be filed in the California Service Center.  But if your event is in New York, D.C., or Texas, for example, your petition should be filed in Vermont.

The only exception is if you will be working for a Major League Sports Organization, in which case you will automatically send your petition to the Vermont Service Center.

The current processing times at these centers are:

  • California Service Center (CSC)—2 weeks
  • Vermont Service Center (VSC)—the last application that was completed was submitted on August 31, 2015 (So, currently about 4 months)

(Keep in mind that the current processing times are updated around the 15th of each month and can be found on the USCIS website)

How Can I Speed Up the Application Process?

One way to expedite your application is to sign up for the premium processing service.  The Premium Processing Service allows P-1 visa applicants to speed up their application by paying a $1,225 fee (USCIS fees are always subject to change).  With the Premium Processing Service, USCIS promises that it will process your petition within 15 days or it will refund the $1,225 fee.  To apply for Premium Processing, your U.S. sponsor must submit Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Services, with your Form I-129.

Need an attorney?

Our articles provide general information about all of our practice areas. If you're looking for legal counsel specific to your situation, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Share This