Last updated on May 15th, 2019
If your interview is coming up for your marriage-based green card, you are probably curious about what types of questions the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer will ask you.
While there is no list of definite questions the USCIS officer will ask you, there are questions that may come up based on their reasoning for the questions.
The USCIS officer’s goal is to test the legitimacy of your marriage. This means he can ask you any question he feels a truly married person would know about their spouse and the life they share.
We have divided some sample questions that the USCIS officer may ask into categories.
Keep in mind that these questions are only meant to give you an idea of what you may be asked. The USCIS officer may ask you some of these questions or totally different questions.
Questions about How You and Your Spouse Began Dating
- How did you and you spouse meet?
- Where was your first date?
- What things do you and your spouse have in common?
- Who popped the question?
- Where did you or your spouse pop the question?
- Did your spouse meet your parents before the engagement?
- Did you meet your spouse’s parents before the engagement?
- How did your parents feel about the engagement?
- How long were you engaged?
- What was your favorite date?
- When did you start planning your wedding?
Question About Your Wedding
- Where was your wedding ceremony held?
- How many people came?
- How long was the ceremony?
- Did either of you write your own vowels?
- How many bridesmaids were there?
- Where was the reception held?
- What type of food was served?
- Who catered the food?
- Did the bride change clothes before the reception?
- What song did you and your spouse dance to?
- What kind of cake did you have?
- Did you serve alcohol at the reception? If so, what kind?
- Did anyone give a toast? If so, who?
- Did the bride throw the bouquet? If so, who caught it
- Did you and your spouse go on a honeymoon? If so where?
Questions About Your Daily Life
- Who usually wakes up first, you or your spouse?
- What time do you usually get up?
- Who makes breakfast?
- Does your spouse drink juice or coffee with their breakfast?
- What do each of you usually have for breakfast?
- What time does your spouse leave for work?
- What time do you leave for work?
- Is there are kids, who usually puts the kids on the bus?
- Where does your spouse work?
- How long does it take for your spouse to get to work?
- Where do you work?
- How long does it take you to get to work?
- What bills do you and your spouse pay?
- Who handles and pays the bills?
- Do you share a bank account?
- What activities do you and your spouse do on the weekend?
- Who cleans the house?
- Who takes care of the outdoor work like cutting the grass?
- Do you have any pets?
- Who takes care of the pets?
- Do you and your spouse go to church?
- Are either of you involved in the church?
- Where is the broom and mop located in your house?
- Who takes out the garbage?
- What day is the trash collected?
- Who cooks dinner?
- Who shops for the groceries and how often?
Questions About Your Family
- How many kids are in your household?
- What are the kids’ favorite foods?
- Who helps the kids with their homework?
- When are the kids’ birthdays?
- When is your spouse’s birthday?
- When is the last time your spouse’s parents came to visit?
- Describe your relationship with your spouse’s parents
- How many brothers does your spouse have? What are their names?
- How many sisters does your spouse have? What are their names?
- What is the last holiday your family celebrated and how did you celebrate?
- What does your family do on the weekends?
- Are any of your kids involved in sports?
- What is your spouse’s favorite sport?
- How many times a week does your family go out to eat?
- Does you or your spouse have any relatives that regularly visit your home?
- Do you have any online movie subscriptions, such as Netflix of Hulu?
- Are there any television shows that your family watches together?
Questions About Your Home
- How many bedrooms in your home?
- What color is the mailbox?
- Where is you and your spouse’s bedroom located in the house?
- What size bed do you have?
- What color are the curtains in your bedroom?
- How many bathrooms in the home?
- What color is your refrigerator?
- Do you have a washer and dryer?
- Where are the bath towels located?
- Do you have a gas or electric stove?
- Do you have a guest room?
- Does your home have carpet or hard wood floors?
- How many televisions do you have?
The questions that the USCIS officer asks you just depends on that particular officer. You would be surprised at some of the questions they come up with.
Despite this, if your marriage is real, you should be fine.
Additional Articles About Interviews and Interview Questions
While it would be impossible to provide a complete listing of all questions you may be asked at a green-card interview, you may also choose to consider the following articles about immigration interviews and how to prepare:
- What Questions Will I Be Asked at My Interview?
- K-1 Visa Interview Questions
- Green Card Interview Experience
- What Will My Interview Be Like?