K-1 Visa Income Requirements in 2015

The U.S. citizen fiancé must effectively earn more than 125% of the federal poverty guidelines to sponsor an alien fiancé.

Last updated on October 3rd, 2017

If you are the beneficiary of a K-1 Fiancé Visa, your U.S. citizen fiancé will be required by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to submit a document, called an affidavit of support, promising to take care of you financially during your stay.

When you ultimately apply for a green card, your U.S. citizen fiancé will be required to submit a more in depth affidavit, Form I-864 Affidavit of Support.  By completing Form I-864, your fiancé promises the USCIS that he will provide you with financial support to cover your living expenses.

The reason your fiancé will have to submit this form is because USCIS wants to make sure you will have enough money to live and won’t have to rely on government assistance.  Moving to the U.S. can be a hard transition and USCIS wants to ensure you have the financial support so as not to be a burden on the U.S. government.

How Much Will My Fiancé Need To Make In Order To Prove He or She Can Support Me?

USCIS understands that your fiancé will have to take care of himself, any dependents, and you. For this reason, USCIS provides a handy chart on its website that shows how much income you will need to support a family of a certain size.  This chart is called Form I-864P, Poverty Guidelines, and is updated each year to reflect the current economy.  You can find the 2015 Poverty Guidelines here.

How Do I Read the Poverty Guidelines Chart?

Reading the guidelines chart can be tricky, so here is an example.  Say for instance that you and your child plan to move in with your U.S. fiancé in one of the 48 continuous states.  This would be a considered a household size of “3” and according to the chart, your fiancé will need to make at least $25,112 a year to prove that he can support the entire family.  If your fiancé is on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, this amount would decrease to $20,090.

Need an attorney?

Our articles provide general information about all of our practice areas. If you're looking for legal counsel specific to your situation, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Share This