Last updated on October 3rd, 2017
How Long Does the Fiancé Visa Process Take?
Typically, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may take anywhere from 6 months to a year to process your K-1 fiancé visa application (Form I-129F). However, if the service center that is processing your application is experiencing a delay, the process may take even longer.
USCIS processes many fiancé visa applications each year, which explains why it may be awhile before you actually receive your fiancé visa. You should also consider the fact that your application must go through three steps before it can be issued:
- First, USCIS has to approve your petition
- Second, your petition has to be processed by the National Visa Center (NVC)
- Third, you must complete an interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate
The entire process from the date USCIS receives your application until it is sent to the U.S. Embassy is about 6 months. Currently (as of March 6, 2015), these are the processing times for the four USCIS service centers:
- California Service Center (CSC): 5 months or less
- Nebraska Service Center (NSC): 5 months or less
- Texas Service Center (TSC): is currently experiencing a delay. The last application completed by this service center was received on August 2, 2014.
- Vermont Service Center (VSC): is currently experiencing a delay. The last application completed by this service center was received on May 5, 2014.
NOTE: Processing times may change without notice, but they are normally updated around the 15th of each month.
If you have already filed your I-129F form, USCIS will send you a receipt confirming they have received your petition. On the receipt, you will find the service center where your application is being reviewed and the date USCIS received your application. For more detailed information about your particular case, you may also use your receipt case number to check the status of your application on USCIS website.
If you haven’t filed your I-129F form yet, keep in mind that USCIS processes the fiancé visa applications in the order they are received. You should file your completed application as soon as possible in order to help move the process along.