How Do I Fill Out Form G-325a? (Marriage and Fiancé Visa Version)

It can be hard to know when you need to fill out the form—the G-325a is typically sent with other forms. In the marriage and fiancé visa context, both the U.S. citizen and immigrant fiancé need to fill out the forms.

Last updated on October 3rd, 2017

How Do I Fill Out Form G-325a for my K-1 or K-3 Visa Petition?

The G-325a can be found, and printed, for free online at The purpose of the form is for the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) to efficiently gain background information on you. Don’t be alarmed after reading “background check,” the form operates much like your standard background check when applying for a job.

Much of the form is self-explanatory; a close reading of the instructions preceding each blank space makes filling the form straightforward.

But there are some things that aren’t self-explanatory. It can be hard to know when you need to fill out the form—the G-325a is typically sent with other forms. In the marriage and fiancé visa context, both the U.S. citizen and immigrant fiancé need to fill out the forms.

Information Requested by the G-325 Form

As referenced above, most of the information is self-explanatory. To avoid problems, read the directions carefully. Additionally, the form is only two pages in length so re-check the form to ensure you have answered each blank to the best of your ability.

Regarding listing previous places you have lived and employers, always start with your current situation and then work backwards in time from there.

Regarding requested dates, be as specific as you possibly can and make sure the dates match one another.

  1. For instance, if you were hired for your current job on January 1, 2015, you would enter your start date as “1/1/15” and the end date would read “present time.” In the following blank, your job needs to, or should, end by January 1, 2015 unless you hold multiple current jobs.
  2. If there is a break in your employment history, make sure you account for it. Entries such as “unemployment,” “housewife/stay-at-home father,” or “student” are acceptable to fill in the following blanks.
  3. When you have entered all relevant information and blanks still remain, simply enter “N/A” for the remaining blanks.

You may not have some of the information required by the form. In those spaces just type “UNKNOWN.” You don’t want to overuse the UNKNOWN label; if possible, do the best you can to look up the information you need so you can complete the form in its entirety. If the form doesn’t have enough information, you could receive a Request for Evidence or RFEs. RFEs delay cases, and having your case delayed for something as simple as a lack of biographic information is something you can usually avoid.

The following is information relevant to the specific areas of the form:


  • Family name is the last name of the individual filling out the form.
  • File number, with the “A” next to it, is the “Alien Number.” If this is your first petition filed you will not have an alien number, simply enter “N/A.” Alien numbers are typically given in your first notice of action from the USCIS. The U.S. born partner filing the application will need to put their social security number in the blank below.
  • For the family names, make sure that you put down both parent’s first names, your father’s last name, and your mother’s maiden name.
  • Lastly, it is important that, for all names, you spell the official name out completely. Avoid using abbreviations or nicknames where an official name is requested.
  • Keep an eye out for typos in names—you don’t want an RFE because the names on your G-325a don’t match your other submissions.


  • Begin with your current address and work backwards from that point down. If you list all places of residence and there are remaining blanks, simply enter “N/A” for the remaining spaces.
  • Make sure all dates have a start and end date that matches the address before and the address after start and end dates.


  • As noted above, begin with your current employment and work your way back in time from there, i.e. the next most recent employment, then the third most recent, and so forth.
  • Again, make sure that the beginning and end dates match prior or following employment start and end dates.
  • It is important you account for as much time as possible, so if you were unemployed, a student in school, or the primary caregiver at home, you can fill in those employment blanks with that information, but remember to include start and end dates.

The Box Under “Last Occupation Abroad If Not Shown Above”

This particular box seems to give most applicants problems in completing the form.

  • If you are seeking a visa for your fiancé, check the box titled “Other.” Enter into that box: “In support of fiancé’s K-1 visa” on the U.S. citizen’s G-325a form, and “K-1 visa” on the non-U.S. citizen’s G-325a form.
  • If you are seeking a visa for your spouse, still check the box titled “Other,” but in the box that appears next to it, fill in “in support of spouse’s K-3 visa” for U.S. citizen’s form and “K-3 visa” for the non-U.S. citizen’s form.


Although duplicates will need to be sent into the USCIS, the signature needs to be signed on each separate document. If your native language is not based off roman letters (roman letter bases are observed in English, French, Italian, etc…) then the blank below the signature block enables you to handwrite your signature in your native language (this blank usually applies to Asian languages, Hebrew, Hindi, Arabic or any language comprised of symbols).

The bold blocked section below the signature line does not require another signature; just print, or type, your name in this blank (again, the “Alien Register Number” is not required unless you have had former interactions with USCIS).

Occasionally, mistakes are discovered after applicants have sent their G-325a forms in to the USCIS. If this occurs, simply write a letter to the USCIS detailing the mistake, attach a new form with the correct information, and send the letter and corrected form to the place where you sent your original G-325a form.

If you have any questions filling out form G-325a, please seek legal assistance to ensure a correct filing of the form.

Need an attorney?

Our articles provide general information about all of our practice areas. If you're looking for legal counsel specific to your situation, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Share This