What Evidence Should I Include with my I-129F Fiancé Visa Petition?

While USCIS is more than willing to fulfill your request for a fiancé visa, you must first convince them that your relationship is legitimate.

Last updated on May 17th, 2019

Applying for a K-1 Fiancé Visa can be an intimidating and lengthy process. Not only do you have to fill in the blanks on the form, but you also have to send in additional information with the petition. While this can be confusing, rest assured we’re here to help.

The reason you have to send additional documents with your I-129F petition is because the United States government wants to make sure that you are serious about your plans to marry your fiancé.

You must prove to them that you and your fiancé met within the past two years and that you have every intention to marry your fiancé.

Listed below are some of the things you can send as proof.

What am I Required to Send With My 1-129 Petition?

The K-1 Fiancé Visa petition, also known as the I-129F petition, is processed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) department.

While the USCIS is more than willing to fulfill your request for a fiancé visa, you must first convince them that your relationship is legitimate.

Proof of Citizenship with Photo

The easiest thing for you to show the USCIS is proof that you are a U.S. citizen. Some common examples include a copy of your:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen

Evidence That You and Your Fiancé Met in Person

Next, you must prove that you and your fiancé met in person within the last two years. Some ideas may include:

  • Photos of the two of you together with dates
  • Copies of plane tickets used to visit each other
  • Copies of your passports with stamps
  • Credit card receipts or bank statements showing you and your fiancé spent money at the same places

But Wait, My Fiancé and I Have Not Met in Person

If you and your fiancé have not met in person and you have religious or medical reason why, you may qualify for a waiver. Evidence of this may include:

  • A letter from your parents or your fiancé’s parents describing the religious beliefs
  • A letter from a religious leader
  • A letter from a medical professional describing the condition
  • Copies of all medical records dealing with the condition

Evidence That You and Your Fiancé Plan to Get Married

Evidence that you and your fiancé met in person is not enough for the USCIS. You must go one step further by proving that you two are serious about tying the knot. Some examples may include:

  • Copies of letters discussing marriage plans
  • Copies of phone bills showing you and your fiancé talked to each other
  • Wedding Announcements
  • Letter from the religious leader that will perform the wedding ceremony
  • Contracts for catering, photography or wedding rentals

Common Fiancé Visa Questions:

Will I Need to Send Anything Else With My I-129F Petition?

So far, we have only mentioned the required documents that must be sent in with the I-129F petition. If you meet special circumstances, there is a chance you must send in additional documents.

If you or your spouse were previously married, you may have to provide proof that you are eligible to marry again. If you have been convicted of a serious crime, you must tell the USCIS about the charges.

Do I Have to Prove that I Am No Longer Married?

If you and your fiancé have never been married before, you don’t have to worry about this section. If you are like many other couples and at least one of you have been married, all you have to show is that the marriage has legally ended. Proof may include:

  • Divorce or Annulment Decree
  • Death Certificate

What Should I Send if I Have a Criminal Record?

If you have a criminal record, the USCIS would like:

  • Certified copies of all police reports; and
  • Court records that display the outcome of the case

Criminal histories can impact immigration applications and petitions. If either you or your fiancé have a criminal history it is a good idea to discuss with an immigration attorney prior to your submission.

Where Do I Send My Complete I-129F Petition?

Once you have completed your I-129F petition, the final step is to send it the USCIS with the filing fee attached. Be sure to keep a copy of the application for your records. If you are sending your petition by the U.S. Mail, the address is:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
ATTN: I-129F
P.O. Box 660151
Dallas, TX 75266

(Keep in mind that filing fees and filing addresses are subject to change. You can always check with USCIS for the most updated filing information.)

I Sent In My I-129F Petition, What’s Next?

Congratulations on completing your I-129F petition. You are well on your way to receiving your K-1 Fiancé Visa.

In a few weeks or so, the USCIS will send you back a Form I-797C Notice of Action. The notice will give you important information about how to track the status of your petition.

Keep in mind that the USCIS processes many applications a year and they won’t be able to respond to any inquires you may have about the status.

Just to give you a rough estimate, you should give them about two to six months to process your petition. If the USCIS needs any additional information from you, they will contact you.

Was this post helpful?

Need an attorney?

Our articles provide general information about all of our practice areas. If you're looking for legal counsel specific to your situation, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Share This