I-9 Employment Eligibility Compliance

U.S. employers are required to fill out Form I-9 for each person they hire, including U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

Last updated on May 15th, 2019

Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification is a form that U.S. employers are required to fill out for each person they hire, including U.S. citizens, immigrants, and permanent residents.

In order to show that they are in compliance with the law, the U.S. employer must complete this form to verify the identity and work authorization for each of its employees. Otherwise, the U.S. employer will be subject to civil and criminal penalties.

Who is Responsible for Completing Form I-9?

You, the employee, are responsible for filling out Section 1, entitled “Employee Information and Verification,” by your first day of work.

In this section, you must prove that you are either a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or an immigrant authorized to work in the U.S. by supplying one of the acceptable documents.

Your employer is responsible for completing either Section 2, entitled “Employer Review and Verification,” or Section 3, “Reverification and Rehires” (whichever applies to you), by reviewing the documents you submit within three business days of your first day of work.

The employer needs to check your documents, which must be originals not photocopies, to make sure they are genuine.

What Documents may I Submit for Proof my Identity and Authorization to Work?

The last page of Form I-9 lists documents that are accepted by USCIS as proof of your identity and work authorization.

If you have one of the documents in List A, you will be able to satisfy both the identity and work authorization requirements. If you do not have a document from List A, you must present two documents—one from List B (to prove identity) and one from List C (to prove authorization to work).

Was this post helpful?

Need an attorney?

Our articles provide general information about all of our practice areas. If you're looking for legal counsel specific to your situation, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Share This